T20 World Cup: They were clinical, says New Zealand captain Kane Williamson after loss to England

New Zealand captain Kane Williamson said England were clinical in their victory at the Gabba. Jos Buttler shattered half a century to guide England to a 20-point victory over New Zealand in the Super-12 leg of the ongoing ICC Men’s T20 World Cup.

New Delhi,UPDATED: November 1, 2022 5:37 PM IST

England beat New Zealand by 20 points at the Gabba (AP)

By India Today Web Desk: New Zealand captain Kane Williamson says England were clinical in their victory at the Gabba. Jos Buttler shattered half a century to guide England to a 20-point victory over New Zealand in the Super-12 leg of the ongoing ICC Men’s T20 World Cup.

Speaking after the match, Williamson praised England’s clinical performance, saying they played beautifully at the Gabba.

T20 World Cup 2022: Full coverage

“Thanks to the way England played they put us under pressure. They played beautifully, hats off to England, they were clinical. It was a slightly higher total than normal. We tried to go a little further, but it’s because of the way they played. It was pretty tricky,” Williamson said.

The New Zealand skipper spoke about the abandoned catch he claimed which could have sidelined the dangerous Jos Buttler at the start of the heats, saying it was a bit embarrassing at the end.

“You don’t want to do this, and he’ll make you pay.” He played a great shot in a big game for them. I thought I had it tight in my chest, it was a bit awkward at the end,” added Williamson.

The right-handed hitter praised Glenn Phillips, saying he turned the momentum in New Zealand’s favor mid-overs.

“He hit beautifully, he got a hundred in the last game and changed the momentum a bit in our favor today. You will be under pressure in such tournaments but we have to take the positive and move on to the next one. match,” Williamson said.

Despite their first loss in the tournament, New Zealand top Group 2 with 5 points. England are 2nd, level on points with Australia, but Buttler’s men have a better net run rate than the defending champions. Sri Lanka are in 4th place with 4 points and all four are in contention for 2 places in the group semi-finals.

Share.

Comments are closed.